Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Song du semaine: 1990s, "See You At the Lights"

So I'm debating whether to keep my XM subscription, given the effective counterprogramming on a couple of our local stations (quick aside to 94.7 The Globe: Love you guys, but do you have to play so much 1980s Bowie?) and my iPod and my Launch player. And the lack of satellite reception now that we've installed windows that aren't paper-thin.

I perused one of the newer music channels and found an indie-pop gem that so effectively leaped into my head that I immediately downloaded it. It's so catchy that I find myself singing it whenever I'm not listening to it.

The video doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and the lyrics range from cheeky ("Put on that dress tonight / the one your mom don't like") to nonsensical ("Get out like a blonde gets out of a car"? Huh?).

This one won't get any deep analysis. It's a fun, catchy pop song. Enjoy.

4 comments:

Lex Alexander said...

"like a blonde gets out of a car" could be a reference to when Britney Spears got out of a car with no panties on and all the paparazzi got photos. But that's just a guess.

Lex Alexander said...

Or was the song recorded long before that happened? (d'oh!)

bdure said...

The album was released in May and supposedly recorded in 2006. I can't remember when Britney had her panty-less incident, and I'm scared to look it up.

Good theory, though.

AG said...

Didn't Paris Hilton have an underwear moment too? I mean, not that she's actually a blonde...