Sunday, August 28, 2005

Things I looked up on Wikipedia today

Starting a new occasional series ...

Piranha

Why: It was mentioned in today's Pickles comic strip, and I wanted to see if the whole "eat a cow in a few seconds" thing was a myth.

What I learned: They generally don't attack humans, but that doesn't make me feel better about the occasional appearance in the Potomac. Also, there's a species that apparently doesn't eat meat but has colonies of worms in its stomach. But nothing about the cow.

Stone Mountain

Why: I was there over the weekend.

What I learned: The original idea to carve Confederate soldiers roughly coincided with the formation of the "new" Ku Klux Klan at the mountain. That only adds to the irony that a park with a Confederate history theme draws a lot of African-American visitors.

Ku Klux Klan

Why: See above.

What I learned: Mostly that the revived group of the 20th century wasn't as virulently anti-Republican as the post-Civil War effort. Also that the Klan had political influence in Oregon, Indiana, Oklahoma and Anaheim, Calif. Mickey wouldn't be happy.

1 comment:

Neel Mehta said...

You understand the need for a blog writer to come up with recurring themes for the sake of providing content. I've made one entry so far on a similar topic here. Of course, I'm not as concerned in being factual.

I lived in Stone Mountain for 8 years. You could see the granite from our front yard. I think minority visitors are quickly tipped off to the park's past by the Confederacy-favoring laser show and its crowd.