Thursday, November 03, 2005

"No one told me there'd be boasting!"

One problem I have with hip-hop is that I have little interest in people telling me how great their guns and/or sex lives happen to be, whether in reality or in the fantasy world they're selling to themselves and then to their audiences.

I'm also not a country fan, though I've talking about it a lot lately.

So I'm at a loss to explain why Big & Rich's Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy) is my current iPod favorite.

It's funny, of course -- on some levels, it almost works as a parody of hip-hop (something about a couple of deep-voiced country guys tinkering with the rhythm and singing about "bling-blinging" strikes me as really amusing). It also has some great guitar work.

Big & Rich still feel the need to strike country poses. They ain't tradin' their beat-up trucks for your Escalade because brand loyalty is everything in the NASCAR and Nashville worlds. (Not sure why this didn't occur to me until now, but I guess they're not trading in their Chevy for a Cadillac-ac-ac-ac-ac. So just as Sweet Home Alabama answered Neil Young's Southern Man, is this the answer to Billy Joel?)

Every once in a while, there's a song that has just the right mix of humor and a strong beat to break out of its genre. Twenty years ago, we'd be talking about Dead or Alive's You Spin Me ... Today, it's this. Perhaps a sociologist somewhere would like to comment on these two songs as a denunciation of androgyny and reassertion of traditional male roles, but I've done enough analysis here. It's just a fun song that doesn't insult your intelligence or lack of dancing ability. Can't have too many of those.

UPDATE: "Big" is now a daddy.

No comments: