Thursday, December 06, 2007

Song du semaine: Waitresses, "Christmas Wrapping"

Pity they never shot a video for this, but at least we have some sort of weird tribute with a girl wearing headphones.

The Waitresses are known for two songs, this one and I Know What Boys Like. If you're a walking encyclopedia o' pop culture, you might also know the theme to Square Pegs.

In some respects, they were kind of a burlesque act. Patty Donahue was more of a character actress than a prototypical lead singer, which group leader Chris Butler doesn't dispute. They had a goofy sax player. At one time, they had an accomplished bass player in Tracy Wormworth, but I have no idea whether she actually played on this track.

The bass helps, as you'll notice from the head bob in the "video." It's a great groove and a great story, told with a sincerity that wins you over. (Must have been tough to shift from that to the more cynical I Know What Boys Like if they were ever asked to play them back to back.)

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I really kind of dig this song. Still think I know all the lyrics, and they run through my head whenever I'm doing last minute holiday grocery shopping.

Anonymous said...

It Is a great song!!
I love it..
It was also on this cute list of Christmas songs that won't make you puke. :)
Have a merry Christmas!