Friday, October 06, 2006

Friday night videos

Proof that Jimmy Fallon had bright moments on SNL (and that Drew Barrymore is ridiculously cute:



Is that Maya Rudolph in green in the amusing Rentals video Waiting?



Madness plays around with both meanings of House of Fun:



I miss Pop-Up Video. And Men at Work. And funny low-budget videos like Down Under.



And to end the evening with a little inspiration, how about this: Bruce Springsteen and Bono getting their righteous indignation on. Jackson Browne and Bob Dylan trading lines before handing off to Peter Garrett. Miles Davis on trumpet. Clarence Clemons on sax. Ringo Starr on drums. Run DMC, David Ruffin, Eddie Kendrick, Hall & Oates, Lou Reed ... Joey Ramone!

That's right, it's Artists United Against Apartheid with the most kick-ass mass-effort socially conscious song ever produced.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember what it felt like to think it possible that the good guys could actually win one and make it stick?

Jason said...

Fantastic selection of videos. I wish somebody would release a Pop-Up Video compilation set. Hell, if they released the whole thing in a box, I'd buy it.

As for Sun City...oh god. It was just so good that I had to post about it on my site. I linked back to you - thanks for finding it.

Michael said...

I! (I) I! (I) I! (I) AIN'T GONNA PLAY SUN CITAYYYYYYYYYYY.

Awesome.

Pop-Up-Video was one of my favorite shows of all time, even if it was a harbinger of the cesspool of snark that VH1 has become. My favorite video was Come On Eileen, because I had not noticed that they fired the drummer during the video shoot. He's there at the beginning, not at the end.