Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Ooh ooh ... oh!

Being a big fan of the Dandy Warhols tune Bohemian Like You (fun lyrics, good delivery, great guitar riff now used for radio intros and ads), I decided to check out YouTube to see if they made a video. Well, yes, there are two.

Would you prefer the MTV version?



Or the one where you can see the woman topless and the guy's ... hello!



I kind of prefer the MTV version. Not that I'm a prude, and the nudity fits in conceptually anyway, but I like the extended semi-karaoke scenes reminiscent of one of the most endearing Talking Heads efforts, Wild Wild Life. Yes, I believe that is John Goodman. And you have to love the fact that Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth seem like such a fun, quirky couple as well as a great rhythm section.



That said, I never thought Talking Heads lived up to their potential, often failing to follow through on promising ideas. One example -- check out what Living Colour did with Memories Can't Wait, which sounded a little affected in in the Heads' hands.

Living Colour is still bending that song way out of whack behind Vernon Reid's guitar heroics:



If that's a little too much Vernon overkill, check out a nice restrained performance on the gorgeous tune Nothingness, written by drummer Will Calhoun. Always one of my favorite songs.

No comments: